YOU MUST READ ALL GUIDELINES BEFORE YOU CAN REGISTER.
A Sobering Choice Victim Impact Panel Presentation Location
Where: Shasta County Court House
Jury Room – Room 117
1500 Court Street, Redding, CA 96001
Go through the front door of the court house, through the metal detectors, and straight back the hallway to Room 117 (Jury Room).
Time: Arrive between 5:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. for processing. The doors close promptly at 6:00 p.m. You will not be admitted if you arrive after 6:00 p.m. The program ends at 8pm.
A Sobering Choice (ASC) Victim Impact Panel (VIP)
The Shasta County Judicial Branch and Adult Probation Department, together with Shasta County Chemical People, have established the “A Sobering Choice VIP” program.
ASC VIP is utilized as an educational tool for convicted DUI offenders. Each panel includes two or three victims who are selected to speak briefly about the DUI crashes in which they were injured or in which a loved one was killed and what this has meant to them. The panelists’ stories are told from the heart and are neither blaming nor accusatory. Instead, victims simply tell how their lives and families have been affected by the crash. Victims do not speak to groups in which their own offender is present. There is no interaction between the victims and the offenders during the panel presentation, but a question and answer period follows.
Judges and Probation Officers may require convicted DUI offenders to attend VIP as a condition of their sentence.
Values for the offenders:
- To enable offenders, perhaps for the first time, to consider the pain and suffering driving under the influence can cause to others
- To help offenders move beyond focusing on their own problems
- To serve as a first step to break down the denial of alcoholism or addiction to other drugs
- To imprint images of real people in offenders’ minds
- To change behavior and save lives
Values for the victims:
- To assure victims they can have a positive impact if an offender’s lifestyle is changed through the message
For more information on A Sobering Choice or VIP, contact Cathy Grindstaff at (530) 241-5958.